Why did you see your doctor last time? I asked this questions to some of my friends recently. Most of them said it was when they fell sick or followed up on a known health condition such as diabetes or hypertension. Very few said it was for general health check-up.
The age-old wisdom ‘health is wealth’ is known to all but still we don’t take care of our health. Most of the diseases are curable or at least treatable if diagnosed on time. Yet, people show up at hospitals during advanced stage of illnesses.
We must prioritise self-care. I would propose the following five ideas:
• Do you have a condition that is unusual even though it is not causing much discomfort? If yes, don’t ignore. See a doctor. Every disease takes time to manifest itself in its rigour. This is the time when it should be worked upon. Early detection results in effective treatment.
• You don’t have to be sick to take a diagnostic test. Several diseases go through an asymptomatic phase with no apparent signs or symptoms. Talk to your doctor and discuss if there are any diagnostic tests you must take depending upon your age and health status.
• Create ‘happy hours’ in your life. You often find them in restaurants or shops when betters deals are offered. Can we not introduce the concept in our life? It would mean finding time to meet with friends, family or doing things that make you happy. It won’t happen unless you pen it in your diary. This will be a way to nurture relationships. Good relationships keep us happier and healthier as I wrote in an earlier post: Bonding with Happiness.
• Everyone knows the important of ‘being in shape’ through exercises, brisk walks, swimming etc. but few do it. Most of the diseases are life-style related and can be prevented. Make a realistic plan that fits in your schedule. Having a goal like losing 3 kilos weight in a month does not work. It frustrates people when it is not achieved. It will be better to have a process-oriented goal like doing 30 minutes of brisk walk five times a week. If you do it consistently, results will follow on their own.
• Life keeps presenting challenging situations. While we must strive for the best, results are not always in our control. Be positive always! Our social network helps here as well. And, yes, surround yourself with positive people.