Self-esteem is extremely important to be successful in life. Life’s experiences, achievements, failures all affect our self-esteem.
We need to protect our self-esteem particularly during hard times and setbacks. I would like to propose the following five ideas:
1. You may realize it or not but you have several accomplishments. Think about them. It will make you feel good, and will have a positive influence on self-esteem.
2. You can enhance your skills or learn a new skill. Nowadays there are plenty of options, including online learning. Try it, and see the difference it makes to your self-esteem. Set up smaller goals and work on them.
3. Do not bother about what others might be thinking about you. No one has time to analyse you as much as you think. Ask yourself, do you have time to analyze others. You don’t. Likewise, others don’t think much about you too. You are what you think you are.
4. A person with high self-esteem knows his strengths and makes use of them, whereas a person with low self-esteem thinks more of his weaknesses. In one of my earlier posts – How to build a high self-esteem– I had written that being mindful of good things in our life is first step towards building a high self-esteem. During hard times, it is even more necessary to reflect and ponder over what good things you have, rather than what you don’t have.
5. Happiness has a positive impact on self-esteem. You feel good when you are happy. Therefore, find time for your hobbies, spend time with friends and do anything that makes you feel happy. Happiness can be best learnt from children, who are happy with what they have, not with what they would like to have. I have already written – How to be happy: Learn from kids – which has a few ideas.